"I'm a Derek...and Derek's don't run."

"I'M A DEREK...AND DEREK'S DON'T RUN." DEREKS DONT RUN FILM.COM




Feel free to join me............

Thursday 22 December 2016

YEAR IN REVIEW 2016 - MEGA CITY ONE EDITION PART 2



PART 2


July 2016. We started shooting. An intense 2 days where all the planning, ideas, etc collide. To me, the rehearsals and planning to the smallest detail meant everything. We had hours just talking about the characters, rehearsals to give an idea of the feel to the film, the visuals to give the ideas of the design, leading up to the shoot so everyone was on the same page. It helps immensely when you have to think fast, make changes, and answer questions.

Two 14 hour days. Little food (don’t worry, everyone else got fed) but some of the best memories of getting back onto a film set and creating. And it looks fucking good. While I'm sure everyone who worked on it felt like they could do better (you shouldn't be satisfied with anything) I can assure you they knocked it out of the park and I couldn’t ask for any more.



Absorb. Working on production for 6 months I needed to take a step back before diving into the edit. Truthfully, it felt daunting so I kept putting it off. I had to watch every take, listen to every sound take, then piece together the puzzle.

First thing that came to mind is re-writing the movie in the edit. Non-linear structure had to go. Reason? Straight away it needed focus on the main character. Also, the flashback structure felt old to me, clichéd. Additionally, the opening just didn’t fit, didn’t breathe. This was a struggle I've had with it - the ability to let the film breathe.

20 minutes. 13 minutes. As usual, the assembly edit is always longer. Everything went in to it but specifically the character breaks - the pauses between responses. When you have good actors delivery good performances, you don't really want to cut things down. So you find the go-between while trying to keep the essence of what makes the scene, the conflicts, work. This was the most important part of the edit as it’s the key to the whole thing. 

Some people may say it’s the action scenes sell it...well, they were, to put it bluntly, a piece of piss to edit.  You learn from everything you do. I think a big strong point of my editing, or even the way I shoot and storyboard, is that I know the components to make an action scene. Sure, the odd points of trying to find that shot you didn't quite get into a sequence is tough, but overall the music videos and shorts I've done in the past feel like they've gave me a good sense for action and cuts.

Music is the key. I always knew who I wanted to do the score for the film and got them involved straight away. It basically fits like hand to glove, but it wasn't plain sailing. The mix wasn't up to the composers standards and also took some unsupervised turns in tone. Basically going from a dark atmospheric mood piece to a Moby knock-off - yes, it sounds eclectic.  But it was all salvageable with a few quick sessions to beef up the gaps to create what I think is a unique score that has heart and theme - something I don’t feel most short films have.


So is it finished?  You'll have to wait. There's a few surprises to go before its ready. Am I happy?  Until I get a response...no. Content is probably a word I’d like to use as I don't think it’s a mess (harsh but fair). Would I do it again?  Of course. But with more help.

Go check out the trailer.


No comments:

Post a Comment